March 16, 2005

Sconces galore at New London Inn

The past fall, the New London Inn was purchased by the dynamic husband and wife team of Bridget LeRoy and Eric Johnson. Over the past few years, the Inn has fallen into a state of minor neglect. Since it is a beautiful and imposing building right in the middle of Main Street, it needed the energy and creativity that the new owners have brought.

One of the first decisions that Bridget and Eric made was that the dining room should be lit almost entirely with my wood lampshades. After 6 weeks of major renovations to the restuarant, it was reopened on Valentines Day with 17 wall sconces and two table lamps. Business has been very brisk at the Inn since the launch, and my shades have gotten a lot of attention. The sconces provide plenty of light to read and eat by, while simultaneously enveloping the whole room with a romantic and relaxing glow that makes a perfect match for the elegant dining experience. Incidentallly, the menu is really wonderful and affordable, so if you get the chance, come visit the Inn for a walk-thru, a meal, or an overnight. The web site is www.newlondoninn.us

From my point of view, this whole project has been very exciting. Working with Bridget and Eric has been fun. They are overflowing with energy and creativity and a boundless sense of humor. And the size of this installation is the largest I have been involved with. Being right here in my home town, it has attracted a lot of attention. It is amazing how the reputation I have achieved for my work has reached all over the world, and how many of my neighbors had no idea what I was doing. The display of my lamps in the restaurant has already led to some referals, and in the long run, I expect that the Inn will represent a significant aspect to how people get to know about me.

No comments: